I’m back and still extremely tired. As promised, I have some information from my interview with Chris Moon, a lyricist and studio owner who knew Prince as a teenager. Moon taught Prince how to use studio equipment, and he was the first person to put together a marketing package for the artist. Additionally, Moon famously wrote the lyrics for Prince’s first single, “Soft and Wet.”
Moon provided a lot of information, including both facts and his personal opinions:
- Did Prince choose music as his first career goal?
- What stage name did Prince almost choose?
- Is Prince really a “musical genius?”
- Was Prince “spiritual” or “religious” as a teenager?
- Were the “conversations with God” on the “Purple Rain” tour sincere?
- Is Moon surprised that Prince is a Jehovah’s Witness today?
- Am I a biased biographer?
My next blog entry will be about my interview with Jill Jones. Also, GREAT NEWS: I just interviewed Roy Bennett, the lighting and set designer who worked with Prince for 14 years.
Check out my other interviews here.