My interview with Jill Jones is extremely significant for the book. It is a real breakthrough. For those who don’t know, Jill is Prince’s ex-girlfriend and a singer who collaborated with him throughout the 1980s. She sang on the 1999 album and tour, and she appears in the music videos for “1999” and “Automatic.” She also has small roles in the Purple Rain and Graffiti Bridge movies.
It was such a pleasure speaking with her. Here are some topics from the interview:
- Was Prince “spiritual” or “religious” prior to the Lovesexy era?
- Was there any exploration of the occult?
- How does Stevie Nicks factor into Prince’s spiritual journey?
- What was the story behind the composition of the song “The Cross?”
- What is the origin of Prince’s fascination with “the Dawn?”
- What was Prince’s religious perception of the U.S. air strike on Libya in 1986?
- Did Prince really write “She’s Always in My Hair” for Jill?